Here you are the first chapter of our nonfiction reading book
We will learn quite a lot about Columbus Day
UNDERSTANDING THE TEXT
- When do Americans celebrate Columbus Day?
- What do Americans remember on that day?
- Where and when was Christopher Columbus born?
- What did the young Christopher Columbus like to do?
- What did people believe on that time?
- But what did Columbus believe?
- How old was Christopher Columbus when he first went to sea?
- What was Columbus’ idea?
- What did he need to test his idea?
- Did many people help Columbus?
- What did Christopher Columbus have to start this voyage and test his theory?
- When did Columbus leave Spain?
- What was the name of the Port?
- What did Christopher Columbus show to the king and queen when he returned to Spain?
- Where did the three ships arrive?
- When did they arrive?
- What did Europeans find in the New World?
- When and where did the first celebration of Columbus Day take place?
- When and where was the great Columbian Exposition celebrated?
- How do Americans celebrate Columbus Day?
- Is everybody happy about celebrating Columbus Day?
- Why or why not?